Sunday, March 26, 2017

Blue Fly Shadows


Blue Fly Shadows              14" x 11"               oil
A familiar image again, but this time I did try something a little different in the process. I typically work on a light wash of cad. red or sienna in order to have a warm background to let color bounce off of. In this case I used a light gray background mixed from white and a bit of black gesso. this certainly shows up your values clearly and it was an interesting way to work. I sketched out the scene in cad red medium before beginning to lay in larger color masses. I liked the result and will definitely use the same approach again.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Great technique and it paid off. I often use a burnt sienna ground for the same purpose.

    Another great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love to work with tones canvas and draw basics in with another color. It gives great light and helps with texture. This one is so interesting. Lively. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!