Sunday, November 6, 2016

Peaceful Valley

Peaceful Valley         50" x 36"           Acrylic

I've enjoyed painting a lot larger lately, and just finished this painting of windswept skies. Going from 8 x 10" to 50 x 36" requires a little different mind set and of course....bigger brushes! I also have to remind myself that even my regular sized palette won't do when I'm trying to mix large amounts of color. To that end I use small plastic containers with lids to be able to be consistent from one day to the next in color and value. Then I can use my regular palette of color to work over the basic layout. 

And as with every painting, it is important to step back and keep looking at the overall design. Even further back in this case to keep in mind the 'big picture'!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Wow - I have seen skies just like this, Mary, and I am quite in awe of your ability. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

    I hope it would really helpful for Oil Painting Reproductions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why this was sold! I love the very powerful sky!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!