Thursday, April 21, 2016

Treeline Shadows- step- by-step

Treeline Shadows                                  oil                 8" x 6"
Here's a small painting for today, but I did take the time for a few progress shots. I began (bottom photo) with the big idea of the value pattern. It only uses 3 values and I massed it in with mixes of cad red medium, white and ultramarine blue. In the second photo you will see that I've added the  fourth and darkest value. In the next step, I begin to lay in basic colors for each value area. After that, I add color to adjust warm and cool versions. This is a straightforward way to keep values where you want them, beginning to end.







Pin It

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Beautiful painting Mary! great step by step demo!!! Thank you for sharing!

Laura Buxo said...

Thank you Mary. Love seeing your process.