Friday, March 11, 2016

Island Breeze


Island Breeze                                                                                                    9" x 12"     oil



In my last post I talked a bit about how I create color from my imagination when the photo source doesn't suit me. This is another one of those. The scene is from Hawaii, where I shot several photos while we drove though a small town on a scenic drive. I remember seeing various lines of laundry and flapping towels which is what I wanted to paint, but didn't have the right photo source for it. I invented the laundry line for added color, but also to emphasize the idea of the breeze shown in the movement of the palm branches.


Pin It

7 comments:

Jeanne Forsythe said...

Love this and hearing your solution for bring color into an otherwise green landscape.

Jeanne Forsythe said...

"bringing"

mary maxam said...

Thanks Jeanne, sometimes it's more fun to paint what we want to see!

Victor Errington said...

Hi Mary.
Wonderful painting. It is Vastly better than the actual photograph, Glad you shown the photo of the subject.They are certainly blowing, well done. All the best.
Vic.

Carol Flatt said...

You definitely captured the continual sea breezes with your brushwork as well, Mary!

hmuxo said...

SO beautiful Mary! I agree with Vic! Better than the reference photo!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

The laundry is a touch of creative genius. Love, love, love this.
I never manage to copy a photo exactly...something always takes over. Sometimes not for the best either.