Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Garlic Basket

Garlic Basket           12" x 9"     oil on linen

I thought it would be interesting and fun to paint this image in oil after painting it in watercolor many years ago. The watercolor is much larger but I heightened many of the same color notes, using violets and cool blues to contrast with the gold tones of the boxes and garlic skins. I may change the size of the garlic though...... these would definitely be categorized as 'elephant garlic'!!

Below is the watercolor version:



Pin It

7 comments:

hmuxo said...

I love all the colors in the garlic! Nice painting!

Carol Flatt said...

I love this, Mary! The light on the twisted rattan of the basket and the garlic bulbs is so beautiful as is the soft blue of the boxes in the oil version. A wonderful choice of subject matter!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I get confused...did I comment on this on FB? I know I left a comment somewhere.
Love love love the way you painted the garlic and the boxes are a wonderful color accent.

mary maxam said...

Hi Julie....Yes you did on FB! and Thank You for always being a wonderful support to so many artists, including myself.

mary maxam said...

Thank you Hilda, I did try to find some of those colorful whites we all look for.

mary maxam said...

Carol, thanks so much. Garlic really evokes a lot of cooking and gardening imagery for me ... glad you like it

Karen Werner said...

What a great idea, and a lovely result too.