Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Barrel Cactus with Yellow Flowers - Day 6 , 30 in 30 Challenge

Barrel Cactus with Yellow Flowers       oil on panel        7" x 9"

Back to oil paint today for this one of a small barrel cactus. When I was in Scottsdale for a workshop in November, I took a few pictures of this small cactus that had tangled little yellow flowers around it. It has been in my mind, so today,as per my rules for the 30 in 30 Challenge, I took a look at the photo for several minutes and tried to hold the basics in mind. Then, off went the computer and I began to paint. I tried to visualize the finished painting and think about all the curved shapes working together. If I'd been working from the photo, I'm pretty sure my values would have been more distinct, but I like this effect as well and decided to call it finished.

Pin It

5 comments:

martine paquet said...

Love how you painted the little cactus and all the beautiful greens!

hmuxo said...

Excellent job ...wonderful colors!

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Bravo ! J'aime le rendu de ce cactus qui se développe et ces herbes qui semblent le protéger en tentant de l'enfouir. Les nuances de verts sont sublimes.

Gros bisous ♡

Helen Moreda said...

Greens yes but the background is awesome. Love how it is so alive.

suzanneberry said...

This is just stunning!! I love everything about it!