Sunday, December 7, 2014

Workshop Influence & a Re-Post-"Just Holding On"

Just Holding On                 12" x 16"       oil on linen panel

I had a great question from Julie Ford Oliver on my last post. She asked whether there was any influence from the Daniel Keys workshop in "Snowy Homestead". I have asked myself the same question the last couple times at the easel and I have to say the answer is yes. One of the things he stresses as he paints is the rule regarding cool light = warm shadows and visa versa (warm light = cool shadows) But, though I've been aware of it for years and used that principle, I don't think I ever asked myself to be as consistent about it until after being reminded of it daily in the workshop. I can sometimes be so taken with color and value, that I don't go the extra mile to make sure the relative temperature rule is followed. And, in thinking about the use of that rule, remember it doesn't mean that one shadow is equally as warm as the one next to it. The rule refers only to the light and shadow of  one area or subject. A valuable lesson.... re-learned!
The painting shown here is a re-post, hope you enjoy it. Have a great week!
Pin It

6 comments:

hmuxo said...

Love this repost, Mary. The light in the water is fantastic!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Wonderful painting full of light and color.
Thanks for your great reminder of warm and cool. I can see it in this painting. Aqua blue on the sunlit area of water with warm green grass and earth colors versus the beautiful cooler blues and greens in the background.

I am a bit confused when you say in the last part, "the rule only applies to ONE area or subject," does that mean each individual rock or bush for example or just one of the AREAS of sunlight to shadow. Or maybe only the focal area more emphasized? Love to know as I have been using is across the board and am ready to correct myself. Thanks Mary for this great lesson.

mary maxam said...

Julie- As D. Keys paints mostly still life, his examples tended to be on individual objects. So, apple #1 has a shadow that is very warm while apple #2, (in the same set-up) will have a warm shadow but it can be cooler than shadow #1. In a landscape it is the area for the most part. If I have trees in the foreground with warm shadows, the shadow temperature does not have to be the same for the trees in the background....it just has to be warm, relative to the tree(s) that cast it.. It all sounds so confusing, but it is really only adjusting the shadow's color/value/temp, to the object that casts it, not to every other subject in the painting. Hope that helps!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Clear as can be... Thanks for the clarifying response. I do appreciate you, Mary. You truly understand the joy of learning.

Helen Moreda said...

Great information. Thank you so much.

Buddy Gee said...

Cool light - Warm shadow.In a future post would please point out an examples??
Thanks, Mary,
Buddy