Friday, November 7, 2014

How About Hawaii?

How About Hawaii?             9" x 9"                  oil on linen
While I thought I would be painting fall leaves today, this idea popped into my head and I just had to act on it. I cropped a photo I'd taken of some palms in Hawaii, just to focus on the towering shapes and back light. 
My first painting step was to wash in dark alizarin crimson and ultramarine blue stains into the areas where the trees would be. I then moved into the dark and mid-tone opaque colors and worked toward the lights. This one was exactly what I had in mind! 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love that you cropped the photo.
    Wonderful study!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it is beautiful. Almost abstract. Lovely notan achieved with the cropping. Don't you just love it when it works?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!