Thursday, November 20, 2014

Day 4- Daniel Keys workshop at SAS



Still life by Daniel Keys

Here are a few photos from today's demonstration of a lovely still life with roses. I know my photos are not doing it justice but they will give you the basic idea.
 He began using yet another approach. There was no initial drawing, and it began with blocking in transparent color very loosely for approximate placement. He softened edges with a paper towel, then proceeded to direct painting from area to area. Once again, there was a thoughtful dialogue throughout and many questions were answered. He re-directs questions to help the student find focus in what they are asking, which is a really good characteristic of an excellent teacher I think. In our afternoon painting sessions, he checks in with everyone as they paint and helps and /or critiques where needed.

I highly recommend his workshop, but they fill up fast! So, do you homework and start watching his website for updates if you're interested. Go to DanielJKeys for his website.

My rose still life is posted below and once again, I didn't finish. But, you know I'll be posting the finished work just as soon as I can get back home.......and get back to my easel!

Rose Study- Mary Maxam

Pin It

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

What a workshop Mary!! The flowers are outstanding!!! Wonderful work....

Celeste Bergin said...

wow---I have to go back and read your other posts..this is fantastic ..looks like you did a great job getting what he was teaching!