Saturday, March 15, 2014

Near Crater Lake

Near Crater Lake            oil on linen         8" x 10"
This is from a photo I snapped while driving through Crater Lake National Park. I used a warm underpainting here that was a mix of transparent red oxide and alizarin crimson. I started with a middle value of the underpainting, then wiped out the light valued areas a bit. The main shapes were then sketched in using the same oxide/crimson mix. Using that basic value set up, I then began with local color and edges to finish.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting Mary. All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice painting, Mary!!! I've never been to Crater Lake National Park...Beautiful colors on the mountain...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!