Saturday, July 27, 2013

Swallowtails - butterflies and flickering gold

Swallowtails                          oil                             8" x 10"
While on our last trip, we saw this group of Swallowtail butterflies on the edge of the water and across a small bridge. I was quite sure they would be gone by the time I was in picture range, but in fact, they stayed waiting. I got several shots and enjoyed the show of flickering wings. The effect created super little dashes of color in deep and pale gold. I took pictures while I painted this too and will post a slideshow of the steps soon. Below is a painting detail shot and the original photo that provided inspiration. 
View & Purchase
And, here is one more reminder to check out my  DPW Auctions.




Pin It

4 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

wow! what a fabulous subject! LOVE the motion and rhythm in this...not to mention the color! zounds!

hmuxo said...

Beautifully painted, Mary! You can see them dancing..love all of their colors...a definite treat to see them all at one time!!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

What a glorious start to my day An amazing and beautiful painting, Mary. Thanks for showing the picture. I never knew the name of this type of butterfly.

Linda Popple said...

Amazing! There is so much beauty and emery in this painting.