Sunday, March 29, 2015

Slice of Light - Using Acrylic Paint

Slice of Light                               acrylic                             8" x 8"

 I've had a couple questions about using acrylic paint recently and thought it would be helpful to review how I've used acrylic in a way that I find easy to layer and manipulate.

This is another acrylic painting and I thought I'd answer a couple questions regarding materials. I use Liquitex Ultra Matte medium mixed in with the color. It makes the paint a nice consistency to handle and slightly more opaque, so that it dries closer to what I see as fresh paint. This is on Fredrix Portrait acrylic primed linen which is good for either oil or acrylic work. For a palette, I have a Masterson Sta Wet palette, but I also use a dollar store plastic box with a fitted lid that works just as well for smaller set ups. Here's a YouTube link that shows how to make one of your own and I'm sure other handy methods would turn up with a quick search. 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting Mary, great job at capturing the light. So much subject matter to paint in Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful, Mary!!
    I really need to be there!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!