Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Field Walk - rolling farm land and walking the dog

A Field Walk               oil                8" x 10" 
Here is a guy and his dog walking the fields in the rolling Palouse farm lands of North Idaho. I used a little different surface on this and it gave the canvas a little more grip for the paint. This is a gessoed stretched canvas, but I used a thin additional coat of clear gesso. The clear gives you a surface much like pastel paper and lets you avoid that 'screen door' look of some prepared canvas.

Pin It

6 comments:

Victor Errington said...

Lovely painting Mary. All the best.
Vic.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

This is a gorgeous painting Mary. I
laughed at screen door discription. I know
exactly what you mean. Good to know you found a solution.

hmuxo said...

Gorgeous scene, Mary...Love that powerful sky!! Great work!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I also like to smooth out canvas texture, especially for smaller work where the weave generally interferes with detail.

This painting is so enjoyable, Mary. I sure like your energetic and expressive brush work and those luscious cloud colors.

Virginia Floyd said...

Thanks for the information. I didn't know how to do that!

Love this painting. Makes me want to take that walk, too!

Karen Bruson said...

Beautiful paint!