Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Good Day On The River - fly fishing oil sketch

Good Day On The River                         oil               7" x 9"
Tomorrow I will post another couple paintings from my portrait workshop, but I thought I'd change it up today with this fly fishing painting from the Big Horn River in Montana. I tried a charcoal sketch under this, which I hadn't done for a long time. The usual plan for me is to sketch with a brush. I liked having a bit more of a plan in mind, and will try this again. The charcoal pencil was used for the basic shapes and proportions, but then I also blocked in a few of the darks and sprayed with a fixative before  beginning to paint.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Vos scènes de pêche e plaisent toujours beaucoup. Ce qui est étrange, c'est que j'ai toujours l'impression qu'il y a un bande sonore lorsque je les admire...
    Le clapotis de l'eau, le mouvement de la rivière...
    Et puis ce merveilleux contact de la lumière qui vient se poser sur le sujet tel un papillon sur une fleur...
    Très jolie peinture.

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I also do this, use charcoal, but only sometimes. I sure like this--your plan worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and fresh looking painting. It has the spontaneous look and movement of your usual work, Mary, so the charcoal drawing did not cause you to be more linear ...like it does me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your fly fishing paintings. This is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time and time again you prove that less is MORE! Wonderful Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!