Sunday, October 7, 2012

Studying Canaletto - The National Gallery of Art

Studying Canaletto                      oil                           8" x 9"
We've been vacationing to DC and also Gettysburg and it makes me thankful for those people and entities with the vision to put together so many of the countries wonderful treasures. I am at a loss for words when it comes to the visual feast at the National Gallery. Even though I hesitated to try this painting with Canaletto's "Piazza San Marco" on the wall, I also couldn't let myself back away from it. It is a loose rendition, unlike the refined and beautiful surroundings of the great galleries, but my version for today.
Pin It

6 comments:

Kathy Collins said...

BRAVO!!! I just knew this would turn into the most fabulous painting (a la Robin Cheers, Karin Jurick and Karen Rose)! Great job!

Linda Popple said...

Great job on this, Mary! Beautifully done!!

Dana Cooper said...

Your beautiful photo turned into a wonderful painting!

Celeste Bergin said...

I'm impressed with how squared up you got that frame...not to mention you captured the flavor of the painting too.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Well done indeed, mary and you put your own touch to this popular imagery.
I love the stance of the man. Seen it many times. Could be my hubby

Karen Werner said...

This is so lovely, Mary. I especially love the texture everywhere.