Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Basque Dancer II - A lesson in editing & a profile in shadow

Basque Dancer II (Alicia)                  9" x 9"                      oil
This is my week for review and this is a situation much like yesterday's painting. I haven't posted it before because I kept questioning what I was seeing. Today, in a fresh look, I cropped it and realized that I had way too much information elsewhere that was irrelevant. It reminded me of being told years ago not to fall in love with one passage to the detriment of the whole. This was a good reminder of that lesson. I touched up a couple shadows and edges, then saw it as a finished statement.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Lovely understated portrait. Thanks for reminding us that often less is more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a lovely portrait,Mary. Interesting to know you cropped it. Thanks for sharing because it makes me feel a whole lot better about the changes I have to make to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. I love the patches of sunlight on her hair, neck and edges of the face. So carefully done, and yet not overworked at all. It looks very fluid and natural. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Mary!!
    Treasurable detail, the shadows and light on the hair. I love the easy feeling I got over a tenty work of art!
    Warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous work, Mary...beautiful light on her face and hair! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary! I totally agree with Sandy here...great work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!