Saturday, August 4, 2012

Yellowstone Icon - Old Faithful

    Yellowstone Icon   11" x 7"   oil on linen panel
I can't imagine how many times Old Faithful has provided inspiration for artists of all kinds. I saw it first when I was about 13 and it was a memorable family trip, complete with bears ( both of the gift shop and real kind)   I enjoyed it every bit as much when we went back several months ago. My goal here was to provide a landscape with that feeling of being on vacation. The crowd of people looking on, help provide that I think. If you've been there, I hope this brings back wonderful memories for you as well.
Pin It

7 comments:

Karen Werner said...

This is great, Mary. I bet it was very challenging, being such an unusual phenomenon: water shooting up into the sky. Awesome job.

hmuxo said...

It did bring wonderful memories of when I went to see it a few years back. I remember the beautiful colors in the spray just as I see in this fantastic painting!! Well done, Mary!!!

Laurie G. Miller said...

I love how you portrayed the crowd of people ... I'm sure this was a challenging subject!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Oh boy - I love this. I did not see the beauty in it like you did. I was just awed at the power of it.
Great job with the tourists...let me look closer... can I see myself in there??

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I can feel and hear the steaming water from here! What a wonderful portrait of such an icon.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

Amber L. Bailey said...

There is a fountain out back of my apartment and every time I look at it I think of this painting. I really love this one Mary.