Saturday, February 25, 2012

Late Day Light- fly fishing & painting techniques

Late Day Light    oil      10"x 8"
I wanted this painting to be about the warm light of a late summer day, so a cool color as underpainting was in my plan.  But, I also wanted to use pthalo blue which can be deadly, as it  tints every color applied on or around it so completely. My solution here was to use the pthalo in acrylic and let that dry, so that the top color in oil wouldn't be affected. I enjoyed working this way and will use it again soon I think . I took this shot while fishing at Yamsi ranch in Oregon. 
SOLD
Pin It

8 comments:

Jane said...

This is flooded with beautiful and warm sunlight, love how you can see the rays coming out from the sky on top.

Pat O'Driscoll said...

I agree with Jane, beautiful light. Love the variety of brushwork in your paintings.

Karla said...

However you accomplished it, this is an incredible painting!

c.dingman said...

Looks like a great day to go fishing.

Brad Miedema said...

Its an Awesome painting Mary! I think the pthalo was a great addition!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Such wonderful color!

Terry said...

Your series of fishermen is fantastic. You really have a way with paint and capturing the essence of the scene.

Denise Rose said...

I am also married to an avid fly fisherman, and your paintings inspire me to get out there with him and paint and also get some photos to paint of him fishing. This is fabulous and I love hearing how you tried the acrylic underpainting of the phtalo.