Sunday, January 8, 2012

Two For The Road

Two For The Road   oil   8" x 10"   
Thank you for your interesting input to my last post where I referred to painting every subject under the sun. Looks like most of you agree that it's about the painting of shapes,colors and composition many times and less about the subject itself. I snapped some pics of these two pedaling fast and furious last fall and the pthalo blue with orange bits caught my eye. They looked particularly great against dark fir trees. I tried for several soft edges to try to convey motion.
Pin It

10 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I love this beautiful and cheerful painting, Mary. And that turquoise and orange do indeed pop. I'm also remembering a similar piece you did... maybe last Fall? I'll have to look!

Kathy Cousart said...

You have some of the best photos to paint from! And totally agree it is all about the light hitting whatever it is and making it come alive. Love the brighter bits of blue and orange against the darks....great contrast. And, it helps that you can paint everything and really well!

Dottie Leatherwood said...

A very striking composition! love the color palette.

Brad Miedema said...

Excellent Mary, I love the composition! You did a great job showing the motion.

Jane said...

You really captured the speed of these two...I am trying to figure out how you did this. The light in the painting and your colors are always fabulous.

Karen Werner said...

You have a good sense of movement here, Mary. I especially like the energy in the background. I've spent a lot of time riding just like these guys so I really like your subject!

Maria Bennett Hock said...

Beautiful work. I love the sense of action...the looseness of the strokes is perfect.

Celeste Bergin said...

I feel the speed

Marian Fortunati said...

I agree with Diana!!!

Terrific color!

Page Railsback said...

Looks great..not too tight..just right