Monday, January 16, 2012

Scottsdale Art School- Kathy Anderson Workshop

Pansies- unfinished  9"x12" oil on linen panel M Maxam
This was the first day of Kathy Anderson's workshop at Scottsdale Art School. She is a fun, generous and relaxed teacher and her work is fabulous for it's delicate shapes and beautiful clear color. You will see a few steps of her demo below and my partially finished painting above.I hope to be able to post both finished works tomorrow. Kathy is a member of the Putney Painters group, famously begun by Richard Schmid and Nancy Guzik. She began her painting with washes of transparent color under the main design. She then, very deliberately places more opaque color onto those basics. More tomorrow...

This show her painting midway through and how she builds over a warm/neutral background .
unfinished pansies by Kathy Anderson
Edges in her work are carefully considered. She will soften and sharpen edges as she builds the opaque color and works her brush in the direction that the petals lay.
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Very beautiful..like to see her process

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting stuff and a beautiful start to your painting, Mary. I can see why you chose this workshop! You are going to have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun yet challenging workshop(s) Mary. I see a lot of Schmid's style in your paintings too - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Il est toujours passionnant de voir la progression dans un atelier...
    Vos pensées ont déjà une fort belle allure... Elles swinguent.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your painting is beautiful! And I like seeing the demo in process. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pansies are so beautiful even unfinished, really looking forward to see the final result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary your painting is beautiful! Sounds like a great workshop. Continue to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome that you are taking her workshop!! Your unfinished painting is beautiful. Thanks for showing Kathy's process. So interesting. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a really neat posting. I wish I could have been there. Can't wait to see the "grand finale"

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, my WIFI went out just as I clicked send, so I re-sent my comment. Then there it was posted twice. So I decided to delete the second..identical..post. Now that it says I deleted my post, it looks even sillier. I should have left it alone. I'm not real computer savvy. I guess you can tell. It's still a great post. Thanks! We're all enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous just the way it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving seeing what you are learning! Gorgeous paintings and love using grays to build upon. Thanks for sharing and look forward to learning more. Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Mary, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous Mary, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!