Friday, May 27, 2011

Alicia - open grisaille

Alicia- open grisalle 9"x9"  
This is another example of an open grisaille which means using only one or two colors with no black or white to adjust the values. On my post "Apple in Umber", Catherine Jeffrey made a comment about how this kind of approach has that 'old world feel'- and that, made me think of a photo I have of my niece, Alicia. She frequently pulls up her thick curls into such a wonderful top knot, and it too, has that classic look of being 'old world'. I used Terra Rosa and Terra Rosa mixed with Umber for this one.
Click Here to my web and other daily paintings
Pin It

17 comments:

J Joy Nocifora said...

This is absolutely beautiful!

Linda Popple said...

Really lovely, Mary!

Julie Hill said...

Mary..just beautiful ....

Pam Holnback said...

A great grisaille.

Dana Cooper said...

Awesome Mary, it's really beautiful!

Angela said...

So nicely done. I really like the idea of trying something so different This painting is beautifully done

Amber L. Bailey said...

Very Very nice Mary!

Maija Baynes said...

WOW! I'll say it again. Wow! Gorgeous! This one's a keeper.

Nancy Goldman said...

This is a nice pose, beautifully executed. I really like the look of just the two colors.

rosaspicks said...

I chose this as one of my favorite paintings today on my blog, rosaspicks.wordpress.com. I hope you'll come by and check it out! Thanks, Rosa

rahina q.h. said...

lovely work.. i like that splash of light on her cheek and ear!

hmuxo said...

Beautifully painted!!

Virginia Floyd said...

What a beautiful painting, beautifully executed! I love the way you handled the light--on her neck, the tip of the ear, the highlight on her nose. Great job!

Virginia Floyd said...

What a beautiful painting, beautifully executed! I love the way you handled the light--on her neck, the tip of the ear, the highlight on her nose. Great job!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

This is such a beautiful little study, Mary. You obviously paint all subjects well!

Nancy Laliberte said...

Gorgeous, Mary!

Ruth Andre said...

Love this portrait. It really does have the old world feel to it.