Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Demo-Nest

Demo - Nest   20"x 20" oil on gessoed hardboard

We've been offline for a couple days, but now I'm finally able to post this demo. In any event, this began with a wash of oms, indian yellow and cad red. My second step was to sketch in the basics of the composition with burnt umber. I then layed in the local colors for the nest and eggs. Following that, I deveolped some of  the brushwork that I wanted to indicate for movement and direction. I then painted the eggs into better forms by modulating the values. Next, I continued to layout the broad idea for both color and value patterns throughout the rest of the painting. My last steps were to develop edges and a few details to guide the eye toward the nest, but not create too much of a hard bullseye effect.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love everything about this painting! It is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your process with pictures and explanation. I hope you do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see your process. I really love your work Mary. I know I keep saying that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, this was so enjoyable to view. Thank you for sharing photos of your process as well as the descriptive words. The final product is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!