Sunday, October 20, 2013

Lake Shore Backlight

Lake Shore Backlight              oil on canvas                8" x 10"
I worked a bit differently here, by first doing an underpainting of the main values and shapes. I used transparent oxide red and started with the darkest darks. Next time I try this, I'll will try to remember to take a few photos along the way. It was a fun way to work because once the value pattern and composition was down, I played with color in a way that felt a little more free and easy.
View & Purchase

Pin It

3 comments:

Dean H. said...

Wow! So many things to love in this one, Mary!
I've started trying this same approach in my last couple of paintings. Great minds, etc!! :)
I know what you mean by freeing.

Heretofore I have mainly used one stoke approach....right color, right value first time. Like a fast alla prima.
However, I still believe there is room for both techniques on different paintings.

Helen Moreda said...

You created a beautiful dark pattern. Often in class we start with burnt sienna for a similar effect. I love how your light pattern came out. Really nice.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

This is a winner with its beautiful and dramatic back lighting effect. Would love to see a step by step.