Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day On The River

Day On The River    watercolor on illustration board        6" x 10"
I've been wanting to come up with materials that would be easier to pack when travelling. Specifically, when room, time or circumstance during the trip doesn't allow for my oil set up. For many years, I painted in watercolor and am having fun with it again, while reducing the amount of items to pack. I've used the paint here, both in transparent and opaque passages, adding white to some mixes. This is on a slightly textured archival illustration board. I painted a thin coat on matte varnish on it before painting. Once dry, it allows for wiping out areas or building up layers.

Pin It

10 comments:

hmuxo said...

This is fantastic.. I love the motion and colors!!! Wonderful work, Mary!!

Roxanne Steed said...

What a gem!!! It's as rich & lush as any oil painting!

Pat O'Driscoll said...

Nice painting Mary, I like how you simplified the background to read as a forest for the fly fisherman.
Nice casting form.

Helen H Trachy said...

This is amazing Mary! I never thought you could achieve such results with water painting. You've done a great job on this one.

Celeste Bergin said...

it's great to read how you painted this...it turned out GREAT

martinealison said...

Bonjour ma chère amie,

Quel talent vous avez pour capturer ce genre de scène...
Une aquarelle fabuleuse et j'aime la manière que vous l'avez subtilement utilisée.
Gros bisous

AK said...

This is just fabulous.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

It glows with light and atmosphere. Wonderful, Mary.
Your skill with watercolor is awesome.

Helen Moreda said...

Mary, thank you for the tips on watercolor. I often have the same problem.....what to take when traveling. This is beautiful and I love the layers you built up. So very nice.

suzanneberry said...

Wow, you are a master! just incredible work!!!