Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Perfect Cup - a morning coffee still life

The Perfect Cup   6"x 9"    oil  
What's your perfect cup? For me it's strong hot coffee with just enough 2% to give it a caramel color. For you perhaps it's a breakfast blend with sugar and cream or maybe it's tea with lemon. So this was fun because  morning coffee  is truly one of the pleasures in my day.  This is one of those white on white compositions where painting the reflected color is the challenge. I also concentrated on keeping my values in just two groups and that helped a lot. Now I'll go grab a cup, sit back and enjoy...
Pin It

11 comments:

Lori Bonanni said...

Love the colors you used for the white cup! Reminds of the that morning cup of coffee that I love too!

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful reflected colors in your white cup. Nice composition, too. I think I'll get a cup of Joe now. :-)

hmuxo said...

It's hard to believe a cup of coffee can look so good! Love all those colors you used on this cup!! Beautiful job, Mary!

Karen Werner said...

Really pretty. You made it lively!

Jane said...

I love white on white paintings and am always amazed at how many colors you can put into them ...and it will still be white! Love this morning cup.

Irina said...

That's true - perfect cup. Amazing variety of colors for white effect. Great.

Susan Roden said...

As I'm slugging down coffee, I'm admiring the colorful richness of your wonderful little painting Mary. So elegant - which I'm not . . . sigh.

Pam Holnback said...

Great values!

Bluenile said...

Mary , Perfect cup is perfect painting of white on white . For me white always is challenging . Your painting is elegantly constructed .

Anonymous said...

Looking at your painting is a pick-me-up -- your work and the subject matter!

Many thanks.

Mary in Birmingham, AL

Dana S. Whitney said...

PS: Relieved to know this isn't your first cup painting! Maybe after I've done 100...