Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Iris Bunch- painting demonstration

 
Iris Bunch 6x6  oil
It's always tricky for me to decide whether to post the finish step on a demo first or last, but in this case, as you see, it's first. So, the first step is the wash of warm red and then drawing loose shapes, in burnt umber onto that. I chose the warm red to contrast with what I knew would be an overall cool color palette.By the way, this is #66 Clausens linen glued down to panel. In the second step, I began to put down some basic shadow shapes in both the flowers and background. The 3rd step is putting in some of the more pure and  higher chroma colors into middle areas. Then, I joined areas of light, middle and dark values areas, as I didn't want things to get too scattered. My final step shows more time spent with sharpening a few edges and blending  others to lead the eye and keep the interest on that top left bloom.
Click Here to Buy
Pin It

16 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Loved seeing this Mary, thanks for posting it...beautiful painting too!

Jerry Stocks said...

Thank you so much for posting the steps. I am a beginner painter, and this is so helpful to me. Love your colors!!

Kim said...

Your flower paintings this week have been killer! Just love your brush work and values. I'm enjoying them very much : )

Nancy Laliberte said...

Great painting and explanation Mary. Your work is consistently beautiful.

Kelley Sanford said...

I think it's always magic to watch a painting come together. Just lovely, Mary.

Nancy Goldman said...

This is beautiful Mary. I really like your colors and gestural brushwork. Thanks for posting the WIP photos.

Linda Popple said...

Loved seeing your process. Your flower paintings are gorgeous!

Kathy Cousart said...

Mary,
Wonderful to see your process and thoughts as you do such a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing- just lovely. I learned a lot:)

Karen Bruson said...

Oh, what gorgeous colors. Thanks for sharing your process.

Karen Werner said...

So many subtle variations of color..very very nice!

Ruth Andre said...

Nice to see the progressive steps to your "Iris Bunch" painting. Very nice.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for showing your work, Mary. It's fun to watch the progression of your painting steps for this lovely piece.

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

Thanks for sharing, it is beautiful.
May I ask where do you get the wooden easels? Mine are not these nice.

mary maxam said...

Hi Irit,
Thanks for the visit and nice comments :) I got the easels at http://www.easelmoments.com . I am relatively happy with most of them, but have to admit that some are slightly crooked and I will need to sort through before sending them, so that is a bit of a bummer. Overall though, service is good and the easels are not tippy, which I like. Thanks again to all for your great support :) Mary

Linny D. Vine said...

All of these flower paintings are gorgeous, Mary!

Sandy Sandy said...

I just found you and went through your galleries on your web site. Very impressive work, Mary!Your mastery of your craft and unique voice comes through consistently. I'm really surprised your paintings are not ALL sold! You should be getting dozens of comments on your blog here too. Love the Iris painting. Just a suggestion - For next time - If you had posted the finish first and last, the reader could have gone from start to finish without scrolling backwards. Loved this demo though! Looking forward to following you here.